Sunday, July 19, 2009

"What are you going to do with THAT?!"

So the most common question I get asked after informing people of my choice in majors is "What are you going to do with a degree in THAT?!" I decided I'd do a short post on potential jobs that I know about in my field.

I'm currently on track to get a bachelor of sciences degree in Geology, but I'm focusing on more general earth systems instead of strictly geology. I am able to bypass classes like Structural Geology and Computer Mapping by taking Climatology and Astronomy, for example. This track was designed for people who are going into teaching, but it also works for people who are interested in Pre-Med/Dental and like geology, or Pre-Law (like me!)

So, for future reference, I can get a job in environmental law or as a consultant for companies who need knowledge of the law combined with practical knowledge and skills. Vague, I know. I can also work in the field on various projects having to do with mineral content or location of groundwater or my personal favorite, using the history preserved in rocks to piece together what the ancient world looked like. Or I might want to get a job in the Seismology field so I could help predict earthquakes and the evil minions that go along with them.
So for all you naysayers, I have Options! (it's always good to have options)

PS. I'd like to post a relevant link - a compadre in the Umass geosciences department is spending several weeks in Svalbard, this sad little island above the Arctic Circle where it's still only like 40 degrees even though it's summer and the sun won't set for another month or something like that. He's got a blog too, so since it's relevant to geology AND he's a pretty chill guy check it out: http://researcharctic.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. Sweet, thanks for the link on your blog! Isn't it fun trying to explain how you will be able to make a living out of our major?! There are definitely jobs, but they don't have your typical titles people are used to hearing about. Have you taken climatology yet?? I really enjoyed the class (I'm also kind of a weather geek so naturally I would). Anyways, gotta run, have a lecture at 4 then we have to stop at the only grocery store on the island to get food and trek back up the road to the dorms were staying in. It is about a 40 minute walk each way.

    ReplyDelete