Friday, June 26, 2009

Pilot - First Post

So this is my first post. Yay. Since this is the beginning of my blog, I thought I would talk about where the beginnings of my interest in Geology began.

Dumont, NJ. A humble backyard on a small plot of land. Obviously not my house, because we have a less than small plot of land.
I used to dig up my aunt's backyard day after day looking for 'dinosaur teeth.' For years, I thought I was totally weird, but since I've grown up and gone to college I've met a couple other people who used to undertake large archaeological excavations in their backyard before they were old enough to register for Neopets.

Actually, it goes back a little farther than that. I was three years old the year that my parents took me to Bushkill Falls, the self-proclaimed "Niagara of Pennsylvania." Obviously, it has some merit to its title since the park has such a profound impact on my life. After that trip, I became obsessed with waterfalls. Even 17 years later I'm still not entirely sure what it is about waterfalls that I love so much, it has something to do with the whole water/gravity interaction though. My parents even considered taking me to a psychologist because they were concerned about my fixation. Apparently, all I ever drew were waterfalls, and not just imagined ones - I reproduced ones that I had seen, and rather accurately for a little kid.

I still love waterfalls, but it blossomed into a love for the field of geology itself. I love how complex the inner workings of the earth are. I spent my childhood reading every book in the Cresskill library about volcanoes and earthquakes when the rest of my classmates were reading Freckle Juice. Since I'm loaded with free time at the moment, I am bringing my joy and wit to the world. Yes, you should be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment